Motivation is a key skill to teach your children. A lot of kids struggle with motivation their whole life or it can be something new. High School seems to be one of the more challening times for a parent to teach their children motivation skills. Being able to talk to your kids without them feeling attacked may get you closer to what is really bothering them. Peer pressure, fear of failing, not being prepared for their future, not being the greatest student, and not having set goals for your life may lead your children to not have enough confidence in themselves.
The following can be symptoms of a lack of confidence or motivation. Bad attendance in school, unacceptable grades, lack of physical activity, a change in their personality, and or dropping out completely from school. The Oregon Department of Education collects data about students who drop out of high school in the state. In the 2002-2003 school year, "The absence of parent support for education" was overwhelmingly the number one reason. Other reasons include, "Fell too far behind in credits," "Working everyday, "Home life is terrible "," and "Getting in trouble at school." You should always be promoting education for your children, These suggestions may help you to find new ways in shaping the future of your child.
1. Reading is the key to all learning. Expose your teens to books you used to read growing up, informational magazines or newspapers, and especially reading on the internet since that is where most people seem to be getting their information. Ask intriguing questions about what they read that day or what they learned. This could be the most important thing you can do to help your child in becoming a well rounded person in today's society.
2. Know how to have proper writing skills and wide vocabulary. Everyday attention to writing e-mails, letters, journal entries, poetry, and songs are all ways to promote self confidence and motivation by starting with what you say.
3. Numbers. Teaching your children to handle their own bank account and credit card, supporting themselves, accounting for monthly expenses, saving money, and knowing basic mathematical skills prove to be ways to achieve success. It also shows that you pose the necessary knowledge to problem solve a situation. There are many ways to encourage your children to be interested in numbers and math. That knowledge translates into everything else they will do in life.
4. Homework is not always fun, it can be stressful and tiring but it does character build. There are things in life that you do not like but you have to work through anyways. Most schools and teachers have multiple ways for you to be in touch with what your child is doing academically through the internet. Knowing their grades, and more importantly, you letting your children know that if they need help with a project or assignment they can come to you and if you do not know the answer you will find out.
5. Learn what each teacher expects of your children and how you can help them meet those expectations. Form a relationship with the school. Community outreach and service to your city are influenced by what you learn in the classroom. Take what you learned in school and apply to real world. This is necessary to further yourself in any capacity.
6. Promote good study habits. Teenagers like to study with friends. Studying with partners or friends or a group of friends should always be supported by the parent. Make sure work is done early, work hard, play later. This is just good practice for their future. Be involved with the school. Put effort and time into making it a better school or by just helping at your convenience. Work should never be an excuse to not be a part of your childs future. This starts by investing in their education.
This information indicates that your commitment in education is a formula for success. Teaching your children or child to be a student in life 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is so important. Take that extra step and help your child set short and long term goals for them to strive for. They need to understand that education, talent, and having skills are necessary to even be considered in the work force. If you expect to achieve your dreams and turn them into a reality you will need to apply yourself to learning everyday whether that be in a two or four year college or university, trade school, military, or by working. High school is a simply a test in life of what is yet to come.